Pages

Wednesday 26 March 2014

How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting To Kill You by Matthew Inman

I have cats, so this seemed like an obvious one for me. And the first few cartoons I did find hilarious. But I put it down for a while, and when I picked it back up, it just wasn't tickling my funnybone in the same way. Either I wasn't in the right mood for it, or they led off with the best comics, and it just got progressively less funny from there.

Which isn't to say that it's bad - there's still stuff on the level of a mild chuckle here - but very little that made me grin a silly grin or laugh out loud. And the part about the office cats went on waaaaaaay too long. It's a funny joke, but the joke is made in the first few pages. 10 more pages of the same joke? Less funny with every page.

I'm probably being a bit harsh here. The first few comics in this collection made me laugh really loud and show the book to my husband. I think I'm just disappointed because by the time I came back to it, I was expecting more of that, and didn't get it.

So if you have cats, there are some very funny cartoons in this book. And there are a bunch that rise to the level of a mild chuckle, and perhaps a few more that achieve a wry grin.

And being a cat person definitely helps. I think. On the other hand, if you're a cat person, you've seen your cats do these things a hundred times, and perhaps made some of these jokes yourself. My husband and I have a long-running joke about our older cat always being afraid of assassins and having to keep herself in a state of constant anger to be prepared for their inevitable attack.

Cats are a great topic of comedy, and some of the comics in this book are hilarious. Others, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment