Pages

Monday 19 January 2015

Saga Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan



Another book loaned to me by the lovely Melissa, this one was handed to me telling me that not only should I read it because this is a great series, but also because there was a naked unicorn woman with purple hair in it. This sounds a little weird, but that has particular resonance for a game we played a while ago about teenage monsters, in which one player had a unicorn character. Who may have had purple hair?

At any rate, it was a synchronicity. But I already knew I wanted to read this volume. I wasn't a huge fan of Y: The Last Man, but Saga has been excellent. It's a hard review to write, though, since I've already written reviews for the first two graphic novel collections. What can I possibly say that is new, particularly when the graphic novels are so slim?

I guess I can say this: it continues to be excellent. The themes of pacifism and ending war continue to be well-drawn, and to this mix in this volume are added a couple of gay journalists tracking the story of the lovers from different sides of the war, and although they work for a tabloid, find their lives, love, and livelihood threatened by those who want no whisper of cooperation between the two sides to get out.

We also get reminded how much the two sides hate each other when the main male character's ex-girlfriend shows up, and promptly starts not only expressing her hurt, but saying some pretty nasty racial slurs about his new wife. It took me by surprise a bit, but it's good to get the reminder just how transgressive this relationship is.

What else? I don't know. The value of normalcy? That's here. What do you do when you've rebelled your rebellion and need to find something else to do with your life? That's here too, and of course complicated by their continued need to be on the run. I do like that the grandmother and the author are trying to manipulate them into a career without ever being seen to do so.

The guys with TVs for heads are back, of course, and I'm still not entirely sure what's going on there. They're the royal family, but do they have any real power? I guess we'll see.

And of course, there is the world's sweetest moment between Lying Cat and Slave Girl. It's lovely.
In summary, this continues to be an excellent series, and I look forward to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment