Pages

Friday 20 December 2013

Dust Cover Dust-Up 2013 - Round One, Part Nine

Boneshaker vs. The King's Buccaneer

          Winner: Boneshaker

The King's Buccaneer was solid fantasy, but didn't shake my world, while Cherie Priest's book was not perfect, but was interesting and different, and unlike many others, I liked the main character a lot. She was stubborn and angry, and I responded to that - and comments on my own personality can form in a queue on the left. There might be biting.

The Buddha of Suburbia vs. All Quiet on the Western Front

          Winner: All Quiet on the Western Front

I liked Buddha of Suburbia, but its hard to justify picking the swinging sixties and Orientalism against such an affecting book about war. All Quiet on the Western Front is a powerful look at humanity and dehumanizing the enemy during war, and made me quiet and thoughtful. The other is still worth a look, though.

Alone in the Classroom vs. Accelerando

          Winner: Accelerando

I wanted to like Alone in the Classroom a lot more than I did. But I felt the same way about Accelerando. In the end, both were lacking, but at least one had extreme post-human ideas and crazy science fiction going for it. When given the choice between slightly baffling science fiction and slightly boring mundane fiction, the science fiction is going to win every time.

The Sword-Edged Blonde vs. The Emperor's Edge

          Winner: Sword-Edged Blonde

Snarky semi-noir hardboiled detective...fantasy? Count me in! It's not a perfect book, but Bledsoe's take on the sword-wielding mercenary who happens to be a private detective investigating the disappearance of his buddy the king's child tickled me greatly. And The Emperor's Edge was nothing special.

Soulless vs. Hounded

          Winner: Hounded

Second in a row with the snark helping edge out more generic fantasy/steampunk. It's going to come as no surprise to anyone who knows me that I like the snark. And Hounded is chock-full of it. A two thousand year old druid who owns a New Age shop in Arizona and is on the lam from the Tuatha de Danaan? Yes. This one.

No comments:

Post a Comment