Pages

Friday 4 July 2014

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Dear Percy,

You don't mind if I call you Percy, do you? Perseus is so formal. You've never met me, but I'm something of an oracle, having foreknowledge of your future adventures because I read your books out of order am just gifted that way.

I'd like to give you some warnings.

You, son, are hopelessly dense. I don't think there's anything you can do about that, so you're kind of stuck.

But where it's really going to get difficult is the part where your friends are jerks. All of them. Every single one has information that it would be really helpful for you to know, and if you thought they weren't telling you enough now, wait till the next adventure. Or the one after. Sure, it's a way to create false drama dependency, but is that what you really want?

I have an idea. People will tell you they can't tell you something "because it's too painful," or "if you don't know, I can't tell you," (What the hell is that? Of course you can!) or "the gods forbid it," (Okay, that one you may be stuck on, but it should not be overused as a dramatic device completely legitimate random happening.) If this happens (and it will), I suggest beating one of them to death with a shovel. That should teach the rest of them.

It's too bad, because some of the ways in which you experience Greek myths are downright cool. But someone's messing with your destiny, son, and he's not going to rest until he's overused every possible way to withhold information from both you and the readers. And that gets old.

So have fun! I'm sure you'll be fine. (In fact, you'll never really feel like you're in danger, which means it's not that interesting sometimes.) And get used to no one ever telling you anything.

Was hoping the first book would be less dependent on stupid tricks to create drama, was disappointed,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment