Pages

Thursday 27 November 2014

Dust Cover Dust-Up - Round One, Part Four

Sense and Sensibility vs. Let's Pretend This Never Happened

Winner: Let's Pretend This Never Happened

Sorry, Jane Austen. I like Sense and Sensibility, but I have rarely laughed as hard as when I read The Bloggess' memoir. It may not be a classic, but it deals with her life and the whole topic of mental illness with both sensitivity and side-splitting humour. And it made me want to start collecting weird taxidermy. My husband says no. There was nothing about Sense and Sensibility that made me crave a strange new  hobby, and so, Lawson gets it.


Vicky Angel vs. Changeless 

Winner: Changeless

Neither of these I really loved. Vicky Angel wasn't one of those children's books that really spoke to me. Changeless wasn't one of those fantasy books that really grabbed me. So I have to pick between two books that were only so-so. Of the two, I'll go for the one for adults. I guess. I'm not confident on this one.

Breakfast With Scot vs. Hexed

Winner: Hexed

Not a hard one. I really disliked Breakfast with Scot, both in content and style, particularly its decision to skip over the most important moments in favour of...ellipses...?  And I did like Hexed, although it was much like the first in the series of this 1000-year-old druid in Arizona. But I like the snark. And the dog.


Mort vs. Red Seas Under Red Skies 

Winner: Red Seas Under Red Skies

As much as I like Terry Pratchett, as soon as I remembered back to sitting in a cafeteria, eating lunch, tears streaming down my face as I read the last few pages of this book, the decision was obviously made. This is as good or better than the first Locke Lamora book, and that's saying a lot. I love the new characters, I love the old characters, I love everything. Sorry, Mort.


Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore vs. Doctor Faustus 

Winner: Doctor Faustus

Classics don't tend to do that well in this tournament, and I find Thomas Mann a bit of a slog, sometimes.  But not as much of a slog as Mr. Penumbra's was a disappointment. There was little actual love for books here, and the deep message at the end was about a half-inch deep. So, Doctor Faustus gets it.

No comments:

Post a Comment