Pages

Wednesday 21 May 2014

Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett

I wasn't under the weather this time, and again, I enjoyed, but didn't love it! Maybe I should just save the Terry Pratchetts for times when I'm sick. It's a weird quirk. Or maybe it's just that I love the Watch books, but haven't fallen for the rest of the universe quite so hard.

At any rate, another foray into Discworld, which I do enjoy, but which only occasionally grabs me and shakes me.

In Moving Pictures, the alchemists discover a new technology that allows them to show, you guessed it, moving pictures. However, what they don't realize is that their new insights (and their new insights' lack of blowing up) are due to a power that very much wants to come into the world. And as more and more people flock to Holy Wood, looking for a part in the clicks, the more likely that emergence into our reality becomes.

It primarily follows a wizarding student who never really wanted to be a wizard, a woman who always wanted to be famous, and a talking dog who claims he follows the orders of no man. Except Victor. But that's only because he wants to.

The vision of making movies in Discworld is entertaining, and of course, having CMOT Dibbler as the newly-minted movie mogul is quite hilarious. Particularly as he starts to fixate on having elephants in every picture. Also, his take on the Ankh-Morpork Civil War and the Gone With The Wind analogue he makes about it.

But it just doesn't seem to come together in the way that the ones I've really loved have come together. There are plenty of amusing things to say about Hollywood, but they're not as pointed as some of his more political books.

Or maybe it's just that I'm feeling too healthy these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment